It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Sing to the Lord a new song, a reflection on Psalm 98

One time when someone in the congregation complained about having to sing unfamiliar hymns, I told her that the Bible told us to and quoted Psalm 98:1, "Sing to the Lord a new song." Yes, I know that was snarky, but, I was kind often enough that they put up with me when I wasn't.

And, I wasn't just being snarky--this psalm does call us to newness. Every day, we have something to be grateful for that day. God has led us to a new victory over new problems.

The psalms include many laments which is appropriate since we find so many situations in our lives as individuals and our life in community to times of despair, fear, and need. Yet, the psalms also include praise and thanksgiving. As we read this week's lesson from Haggai, we can remember their pain at losing their country and their frustration at the length of time it was taking to reform their nation even after they had been granted release from their enemies. Yet, they turned to God, worked to rebuild their temple as the place where they could focus and proclaim their gratitude.

Let us continue to practice gratitude to God by singing the phrases of Psalm 98:
Shout with joy to the Lord,
all you lands;
lift up your voice, rejoice and sing.

Christ Church, Moscow Idaho sings Psalm 98.

No comments: