It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Daily Prayer, April 4, 2012, Wednesday of Holy Week

Be pleased, O God, to deliver me.
O Lord, make hast to help me!


Morning
Invitatory Psalm 32
Happy are those whose transgression is forgiven,
  whose sin is covered.
Happy are those to whom the Lord imputes no iniquity,
  and in whose spirit there is no deceit.
While I kept silence, my body wasted away
  through my groaning all day long.
For day and night your hand was heavy upon me;
my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer. Selah

Then I acknowledged my sin to you,
  and I did not hide my iniquity;
I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord,”
  and you forgave the guilt of my sin. Selah

Therefore let all who are faithful offer prayer to you;
at a time of distress, the rush of mighty waters shall not reach them.
You are a hiding place for me; you preserve me from trouble;
you surround me with glad cries of deliverance. Selah
....

Psalm 37


Do not fret because of the wicked; do not be envious of wrongdoers,

for they will soon fade like the grass, and wither like the green herb.
Trust in the Lord, and do good; so you will live in the land, and enjoy security.
Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act.
He will make your vindication shine like the light, 
    and the justice of your cause like the noonday.
Be still before the Lord, and wait patiently for him; 
do not fret over those who prosper in their way, 
    over those who carry out evil devices.
Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath. Do not fret—it leads only to evil.
....
Better is a little that the righteous person has than the abundance of many wicked.
For the arms of the wicked shall be broken, but the Lord upholds the righteous.
....
Our steps are made firm by the Lord, when he delights in our way;
though we stumble, we shall not fall headlong, 
    for the Lord holds us by the hand.
I have been young, and now am old, 
    yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken 
    or their children begging bread.
They are ever giving liberally and lending, 
    and their children become a blessing.

Depart from evil, and do good; so you shall abide forever.
For the Lord loves justice; he will not forsake his faithful ones. 
....

Daily Lectionary, First Reading, Isaiah 50:4-9a
4 The LORD God
gave me an educated tongue

to know how to respond to the weary
with a word that will awaken them
in the morning.
God awakens my ear
in the morning to listen,
as educated people do.
5 The LORD God opened my ear;
I didn’t rebel; I didn’t turn my back.
6 Instead, I gave my body to attackers,
and my cheeks to beard pluckers.
I didn’t hide my face
from insults and spitting.
7 The LORD God will help me;
therefore, I haven’t been insulted.
Therefore, I set my face like flint,
and knew I wouldn’t be ashamed.
8 The one who will declare me innocent
is near.
Who will argue with me?
Let’s stand up together.
Who will bring judgment against me?
Let him approach me.
9 Look! The LORD God will help me.
Who will condemn me? [Common English Bible]
Daily Lectionary, Psalm 70

 Hurry, God, to deliver me; hurry, LORD, to help me!
2 Let those who seek my life be ashamed and humiliated!
 Let them fall back and be disgraced—
 those people who delight in my downfall!
3 Let those who say, “Aha! Aha!” stop because of their shameful behavior.
4 But let all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you,
and let those who love your saving help say again and again: “God is great!”
5 But me? I’m poor and needy.
 Hurry to me, God!
You are my helper and my deliverer.
Oh, LORD , don’t delay!
[Common English Bible]
Morning Prayer: Holy God, who calls your people to sustain the weary and protect the oppressed. uphold us in your concern and strengthen us, that we may act on behalf of their fulfilment. Grant that we may be counted as members of the great cloud of witnesses who live with justice and compassion, and reveal your divine glory before all people. Amen. (RCL Prayers, Fortress Press)

Midday Psalm 119:57-67
The Lord is my portion;
I promise to keep your words.
I implore your favor with all my heart;
be gracious to me according to your promise.
When I think of your ways,
   I turn my feet to your decrees;
I hurry and do not delay to keep your commandments.
Though the cords of the wicked ensnare me,
I do not forget your law.
At midnight I rise to praise you,
   because of your righteous ordinances.
I am a companion of all who fear you,
   of those who keep your precepts.
The earth, O Lord, is full of your steadfast love;
teach me your statutes.
You have dealt well with your servant,
   O Lord, according to your word.
Teach me good judgment and knowledge,
   for I believe in your commandments.
Before I was humbled I went astray,
   but now I keep your word.



Evening

Psalm 63
O God, you are my God, I seek you,
my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land
   where there is no water.

So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,
   beholding your power and glory.
Because your steadfast love is better than life,
   my lips will praise you.
So I will bless you as long as I live;
I will lift up my hands and call on your name.
….

Daily Lectionary, Second Reading, Hebrews 12:1-3
So then let’s also run the race that is laid out in front of us, since we have such a great cloud of witnesses surrounding us. Let’s throw off any extra baggage, get rid of the sin that trips us up, 2 and fix our eyes on Jesus, faith’s pioneer and perfecter. He endured the cross, ignoring the shame, for the sake of the joy that was laid out in front of him, and sat down at the right side of God’s throne. 3 Think about the one who endured such opposition from sinners so that you won’t be discouraged and you won’t give up.

Daily Lectionary, Gospel Reading, John 13:21-32
21 After he said these things, Jesus was deeply disturbed and testified, “I assure you, one of you will betray me.”

22 His disciples looked at each other, confused about which of them he was talking about. 23 One of the disciples, the one whom Jesus loved, was at Jesus’ side. 24 Simon Peter nodded at him to get him to ask Jesus who he was talking about. 25 Leaning back toward Jesus, this disciple asked, “Lord, who is it?”

26 Jesus answered, “It’s the one to whom I will give this piece of bread once I have dipped into the bowl.” Then he dipped the piece of bread and gave it to Judas, Simon Iscariot’s son. 27 After Judas took the bread, Satan entered into him. Jesus told him, “What you are about to do, do quickly.” 28 No one sitting at the table understood why Jesus said this to him. 29 Some thought that, since Judas kept the money bag,  Jesus told him, “Go, buy what we need for the feast,” or that he should give something to the poor. 30 So when Judas took the bread, he left immediately. And it was night.

31 When Judas was gone, Jesus said, “Now the Human One  has been glorified, and God has been glorified in him. 32 If God has been glorified in him, God will also glorify the Human One in himself and will glorify him immediately. [Common English Bible]

Evening  Prayer: Troubled God, in every generation you call your people to contend against the brutality of sin and betrayal. Keep us steadfast even in our fear and uncertainty, that we ay follow where Jesus has led the way. Amen. (RCL Prayers, Fortress Press)

Psalm 68
Let God rise up, let his enemies be scattered;
let those who hate him flee before him.
As smoke is driven away, so drive them away;
as wax melts before the fire, let the wicked perish before God.
But let the righteous be joyful;
let them exult before God;
let them be jubilant with joy.

Sing to God, sing praises to his name;
lift up a song to him who rides upon the clouds
   —his name is the Lord— be exultant before him.

Father of orphans and protector of widows
   is God in his holy habitation.
God gives the desolate a home to live in;
he leads out the prisoners to prosperity,
   but the rebellious live in a parched land.

O God, when you went out before your people,
when you marched through the wilderness, Selah
….
Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears us up;
God is our salvation. Selah
Our God is a God of salvation,
   and to God, the Lord, belongs escape from death.
….
Summon your might, O God;
show your strength, O God,
   as you have done for us before.

....Sing to God, O kingdoms of the earth; sing praises to the Lord, Selah
O rider in the heavens, the ancient heavens;
listen, he sends out his voice, his mighty voice.
Ascribe power to God, whose majesty is over Israel;
   and whose power is in the skies.
Awesome is God in his sanctuary, the God of Israel;
he gives power and strength to his people. Blessed be God!

No comments: