It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Hear Me, Teach Me, and Protect Me, a Reflection on Psalm 27:7-14

The tone of the psalm has changed from praise to lament:
Hear when I cry and answer me.
Do not hide from me. Don't turn me away.
Do not give me up to my adversaries.
And, as in most laments, assurances and expectations of protection are included:
You have been my help.
You will me up when others have abandoned me.
I believe I will see the goodness of the Lord.
In addition to protection, the psalm is a prayer for instruction:
Teach me your way, O Lord.
I notice that the request to be taught is in the same verse as the request to be led on a level path because of enemies. Is the phrase, level path, metaphorical? John H. Hayes in Preaching through the Christian Year C says the phrase may mean that the psalmist just wants his life to be more predictable, but that he may be asking for his life to conform more closely to the Lord's wishes.

Hayes also points out something that I should have been able to pick up on my own--a willingness to be led indicates a willingness to walk.

The psalm concludes with the injuction, "Man up."

(I'm trying to figure out an equally-snappy, less sexist way to put it.)

No comments: