It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Daily Prayer, Thursday, October 24, 2013

Happy are those whose strength is in you,
in whose heart are the highways to Zion (Psalm 84:5).


Morning
Invitatory Psalm 150
Praise the LORD!
Praise God in his sanctuary!
Praise God in his fortress, the sky!
2 Praise God in his mighty acts!
Praise God as suits his incredible greatness!
3 Praise God with the blast of the ram’s horn!
Praise God with lute and lyre!
4 Praise God with drum and dance!
Praise God with strings and pipe!
5 Praise God with loud cymbals!
Praise God with clashing cymbals!
6 Let every living thing praise the LORD!
Praise the LORD!
[Common English Bible]

Psalm 125, 126, 127, 128, 129

Daily Lectionary Reading, Psalm 84:1-7
How lovely is your dwelling place, Lord of heavenly forces! 2 My very being longs, even yearns, for the Lord’s courtyards. My heart and my body will rejoice out loud to the living God! 3 Yes, the sparrow too has found a home there; the swallow has found herself a nest where she can lay her young beside your altars, Lord of heavenly forces, my king, my God! 4 Those who live in your house are truly happy; they praise you constantly. Selah 5 Those who put their strength in you are truly happy; pilgrimage is in their hearts. 6 As they pass through the Baca Valley, they make it a spring of water. Yes, the early rain covers it with blessings. 7 They go from strength to strength, until they see the supreme God in Zion.
[Common English Bible]

Prayer for Today: Choose a prayer from Joan Stott's website Timeless Psalms.

Midday Psalm 119:161-168
Princes persecute me without cause, but my heart stands in awe of your words.
I rejoice at your word like one who finds great spoil.
I hate and abhor falsehood, but I love your law.
Seven times a day I praise you for your righteous ordinances.
Great peace have those who love your law; nothing can make them stumble.
I hope for your salvation, O Lord, and I fulfill your commandments.

My soul keeps your decrees; I love them exceedingly.
I keep your precepts and decrees, for all my ways are before you.

Evening
Psalm 135, 136

No comments: