It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Reflection on readings for June 24

With my voice I cry to the Lord;
with my voice I make
supplication to the Lord.
(Psalm 142:1)

2 Kings 6:1-7:20
Threat of war. Elisha advises the king to feed the enemy troops. Peace breaks out--but only for a while.

Acts 15:36-16:15
Two Christian leaders disagree and split up.

Traveling through Macedonia, Paul and Cyrus come to the Roman colony Philippi. One sabbath when they are looking for a place of prayer they come across Lydia, a wealthy woman, a dealer in purple cloth. She is so impressed with their prayers that she and her whole household are baptized.

Psalm 142:1-7

Proverbs 17:24-25
The discerning person looks to wisdom,
but the eyes of a fool to the ends of the earth.
Foolish children are a grief to their father
and bitterness to her who bore them.

Prayer for Today: At those times when you are in distress because you are being mistreated, use the words of Psalm 142 as your prayer.

No comments: