It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Reflection on readings for August 10

Let your face shine upon your servant;
save me in your steadfast love.
(Psalm 31:16)

Ezra 10:1-44

1 Corinthians 6:1-20
"Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ?" Paul asks the Corinthians. "Therefore, as a member of Christ, don't do any unChrist-like things."

The specific topic here is association with prostitutes, but the advice should not be restricted to this alone. Paul is urging Christians to take seriously, very seriously, their membership in Christ's body.

"Don't you know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit?"

What are we supposed to do with the prohibition against lawsuits?

Psalm 31:9-18
Prayers in time of distress allow us to admit that our lives are not perfect now nor are they going to be. We will have difficulties, we will have enemies, we will be in scary circumstances, But, we have somewhere to turn.

Whether our enemy is human or nature or, as in my case right now, a failure of my own body to behave the way I would rather it behave, we can pray to the Lord, our faithful God.

Proverbs 21:3
To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice.

Prayer for Today: O Lord our faithful God, My times are in your hand; deliver me from the hand of my enemies and persecutors. Let your face shine upon your servant; save me in your steadfast love. Save me not because I have earned salvation. Save me because you demonstrate steadfast love

No comments: