It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Sins and Punishment, a reflection on 2 Esdras 15:1-33

Ezra continues to prophesy: Do not be afraid of the plots against you. Do not be troubled by unbelievers for they will die in their unbelief. Beware, says the Lord, I am bringing evils on the world, sword and famine, death and destruction because iniquity has spread throughout every land. I will be silent no longer. I will no longer tolerate their wicked practices. I will avenge the righteous. My people are in Egypt, but I will bring them out and strike Egypt with plagues as I did before.

Seeds won't grow. Trees shall be ruined by blight and hail and storms. Wars, unrest, and disrespect for government will come. Cities will have destroyed houses. People will have no pity on their neighbors, but will plunder their good because they are hungry.

God says, " am calling together all the kings of the earth to turn to me; to repay what they have been given. I will not spare the sinners.

A terrifying vision will appear from the East: armies like wild boars, dragons; ambush, destruction, fear and trembling by the army.

No comments: