It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

On the other hand, Reflecting on 1 Kings 3:5-12

During the period after Eastertide and before Advent, the lectionary offers alternate selections from the Old Testament. One is a semi-continuous series--we're nearing the end of Genesis this week. The other is chosen to parallel in some way the Gospel reading for the week.

This week's parallel is Solomon's prayer for wisdom. God came to him through a dream and asked him what he wanted. Solomon said, "You've made me king over these people. Make me worthy to be their king. Give me an understanding mind, the ability to discern between good and evil." God was pleased with the request and granted it.

In the Gospel passage, Jesus says that just as fishermen sort out the fish from their nets, at the end of the age, the angels will come out and separate the evil from the righteous.

I'm supposing this ability to sort is the basis for the choice of this passage as the parallel to the Gospel this week.

But, I am troubled by Solomon's story. As his reign continued, he was not always so wise. He married a lot--and to some inappropriate women. He spent so much money that he had to levy heavy taxes and proscribe labor. His bad decisions underlay the breakup of his kingdom after his death. How wise was Solomon?

I'm still trying to connect the Kings passage and the one from Matthew. Try this: the kingdom is of great value, but it has some bad fish. Eventually, God will sort it out.

I'll keep trying.

My rather jaded outlook on Solomon today was affected by my continuing to read James Kugel's How to Read the Bible

No comments: