It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Voice of the Lord, Reflection on Psalm 29:7-11

The voice of the Lord flashes forth flames of fire.
The voice of the Lord shakes the wilderness;
the Lord shakes the wilderness of Kadesh.
(Psalm 29:7-8)

Several evenings ago, I was watching television while sitting in my well-padded recliner. Comfortable, head leaning back, feet propped up. All was well. Then, through the window next to me, I saw a flash of lightning . Almost immediately, I heard a loud crash of thunder. The TV show lost my attention.

Since I spent my formative years in Texas, I have the Texas attitude toward storms. As soon as we hear thunder, we're outside looking at the sky. Thunder gets our attention.

You don't have to be a Texan to notice thunder.
A thunderstorm will interrupt your life.
You'll turn your attention from what you're doing to this interruption.

The Psalmist's life was interrupted by God (Psalm 29:9).
The voice of the Lord causes the oaks to whirl, and strips the forest bare;and in his temple all say, "Glory!"

Read again this week's passage from Mark, and consider the effect of God's voice on the newly baptized Jesus. Consider the effect of God's voice as you remember that you are baptized by water and the Spirit.





No comments: