It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Reflection on John 15

During Lent and through Eastertide, I have been reading the essays in Bread and Wine. Here's an excerpt from John Howard Yoder that discusses the love of Christ:
Christians whose loyalty to the Prince of Peace puts the out of step with today's nationalistic world, because they are willing to love their nation's friends but not to hate their nation's enemies, are not unrealistic dreamers who think that by their objections they will end all wars. On the contrary, it is the soldiers who think they can put an end to wars by preparing for just one more.
Christians love their enemies because God does so, and commands his followers to do so. That is the only reason, and that is enough.
No one created in God's image and for whom Christ died can be for me an enemy, whose life I am willing to threaten or to take, unless I am more devoted to something else--to a political theory, to a nation, to the defense of certain privileges, or to my own personal welfare--than I am to God's cause: his loving invasion of this world in his prophets, his Son, and his church.

No comments: