It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Longing for belonging, a Reflection on 1 Corinthians 12:12-19

"For just as the body is one and has many members," Paul wrote the Corinthians." In one Spirit we were all baptized into one body--Jews or Greeks, slaves or free..."

He was writing to a fractious congregation trying to get them to get along.

I'm reading his words today from a different slant. I'm thinking about the devastation and suffering in Haiti, and the outpouring of support. See umcor.org, for examples.

Methodists, other Christians, and folks that don't associate with religious groups at all just seem to know what Paul was trying to get those Corinthians to realize--"The body does not consist of one member but of many. If the foot would say, 'Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body...."

We all belong, and this tragedy has encouraged us to act out that belonging.

No comments: