It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Looking toward Jerusalem

Part of my Lenten practices this year is once again reading the poems in Kneeling in Jerusalem by Ann Weems. Here's an excerpt from "Looking toward Jerusalem":
The journey to Bethlehem
was much more to my liking.
....

I want to linger here in Bethlehem
in joy and celebration,
knowing once I set my feet
toward Jerusalem,
the Child will grow,
and I will be asked to follow.

....

It's hard to get away
this time of year;
I don't know how I'll manage.
It's not just the time. . .
the conversation along the way
turns from Birth to Death.
I'm not sure I can stand
the stress and pain;
I have enough of those already.
Besides, I've found the lighting
on the road to Jerusalem
is very poor.
This time around, there is no Star. . .

No comments: