It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Monday, June 21, 2010

On the Way to Jerusalem, a Reflection on Luke 9:51-62

I usually write these reflections a few days early and schedule them to be posted later. I worked on this passage yesterday, but today I can't find it. I don't know if I forgot to push the publish post button or whether the internet demons stole it, but I do know that I'm having trouble redoing what I've done and lost.

Well, anyway....

He's already told the disciples closest to him what is awaiting him in Jerusalem. To get there, they leave places with people like them and travel through a place, Samaria, with people who are considered different. Different because of something that had happened centuries earlier.

The Samaritans don't want him yet. When his disciples want to repay the inhospitality with violence--or, at least, great dramatic effects, Jesus won't let them.

Other people do want to follow him. To the enthusiastic volunteer, Jesus offers caution; to the cautious volunteer, he reminds him of the necessity for urgency.

Here's the lessons I'm drawing today--1. Past problems can still cause difficulties. 2. Discipleship has risks. 3. Discipleship requires sacrifices.

No comments: