It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

All Things to All People, Reflection on 1 Corinthians 9:16-23

The first missionaries were reaching out to people who had been raised like them and people who had not, people who were used to the same kind of worship, and people who were not. They faced the same set of decisions that missionaries continue to face--how much like us do they have to be and how much like them should I be willing to be?

Two preliminary conclusions I am drawing from this passage: 1) My own way of being does not have to be a general model for all humans to follow; and 2) I have to proclaim the gospel (See verse 16).

Some missionaries travel to foreign distant lands; some work within their own hometowns.

Lectio Divina: 1 Corinthians 9:19

No comments: