It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Grace and Thanksgiving, a Reflection on 2 Corinthians 4:13-15

Paul writes to the Corinthians that he and they have the same spirit of truth that is in accordance with scripture, "I believed, and so I spoke." Allen & Williamson, in their Preaching the Letters, find the source of that scripture to be Psalm 116. So, I looked this psalm up: "I love the Lord, because he has heard my voice and my supplications. Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live."

Paul is testifying that his knowledge of the Lord enables him to do that testifying. What the Lord has done for him, the Lord can do for him. And for them, as well.

And for some others, too. Read verse 15 again. It contains assertions that are we aren't to find contradictory:  Everything is for our sake. Grace extends to more and more people. The extension of grace results in an increase in recognition of God.

For some of us, belief has to come before grace. For others, we felt the result of grace and then were able to believe.

But, just who is included in this "more and more people" that Paul refers to?

No comments: