It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Not Enough for the Lord, a Reflection on 1 Kings 19:4-8

Although the lectionary has paired this passage with this week's gospel reading in John, and they're both about God's provision of food in the wilderness, they have very different messages.

Elijah has performed great acts and, as a consequence, has angered the queen. She has issued a death sentence. He's fleeing for his life.

And he gives up. He prays to the Lord, "I've had enough. I'm ready to die," and he lies down ready for his prayer to be answered.

Instead, the Lord sends a messenger to him who provides him with food and also encouragement.

Elijah, after this encounter, is able to resume his vocation. (A few verses later, Elijah will hear the word of God.)

1 comment:

John Wesley Leek said...

I found that passage very interesting when I read it last week.

I think that is a feeling a lot of pastors feel after "mountain tops" in their ministry lives.

There's always the let down after a high point. We need to know that that's normal and lift each other up!