It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Sirach 50-51

The final name on the list of men to be honored is the high priest Simon, son of Onias. According to the notes of The New Interpreters Study Bible, he probably held the office at the time of Ben Sira. Simon is honored for his work in repairing the temple and his leading worship there.

The book of Sirach ends with a prayer of gratitude to the Lord, a hymn of praise modeled on Psalm 136, and a poem on wisdom. Closing verses: "Draw near to me, you who are uneducated, and lodge in the house of instruction.....See with your own eyes that I have labored but little and found for myself much serenity....Hear but a little of my instruction, and through me you will acquire silver and gold. May your soul rejoice in God's mercy, and may you never be ashamed to praise him. Do your work in good time, and in his own time God will give you your reward."

Tomorrow we read the first three chapters of Baruch. If your Bible does not include the Apocrypha, go to http://www.biblestudytools.com/nrsa/baruch/.

No comments: