It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Acts of Worship for All Saints Day from the United Methodist Hymnal

An Excerpt from the Canticle of Remembrance, UMH 652
The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God and no torment will ever touch them.
In the eyes of the foolish they seem to have died, and their departure was thought to be an affliction,
and their going from us to be their destrution; but they are at peace.
For though in our sight they were punished, their hope is full of immortality.

A Hymn by Charles Wesley, UMH 656
If death my friend and me divide, thou dost not, Lord, my sorrow chide, or frown my tears to see; restrained from passionate excess, thou bidst me mourn in calm distress for them that rest in thee.
I feel a strong immortal hope, which bears my mournful spirit up beneath its mountain load redeemed from death, and grief, and pain, I soon shall find my friend again within the arms of God.
Pass a few fleeting moments more and death the blessing shall restore which death has snatched away; for me thou wilt the summons send, and give me back my parted friend in that eternal day.


Lectio Divina: 1 John 3:2

No comments: