It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Satisfaction, a Reflection on Psalm 63:1-8

I've just read one of my favorite passages--Isaiah telling us to enjoy rich food. A biblical injunction that I do follow more faithfully than many of the others. At least when I take it literally.

Now looking at Psalm 63, I'm looking at it more metaphorically. The psalmist says "my flesh faints for you." Someone who likes to eat when hungry or not and drink when thirsty or not can surely understand how important seeking God when put into these terms.

Continuing the metaphor--just as I have enjoyed those feasts, I have received great joy from feasting on the presence of the Lord in the sanctuary. Or, at least, I can recognize what it would be like.

And I can recognize what follows from receiving something really good--saying thank you to the provider.

Let me spend some time today remembering what blessings I have already received. Let me think about the Lord who has provided these blessings to me:
You have been my help,
and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy.
My soul clings to you;
your right hand upholds me.

No comments: