It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Feed My Sheep, a Reflection on John 21:12-19

Appearance of Jesus. Then abundance.

They share a meal.

When they finish this meal, Jesus asks Peter the question that Christians continue to face, "Do you love me more than these?"

[Tangent--is he asking if Peter loves him more than the others do or is he asking if Peter loves him more than he loves the others? I'm going with the second reading--I suppose because that seems to be the way most commentators do & my Greek is no longer up to connotations.]

Earlier in John's gospel, Peter had denied two times even knowing Jesus (18:15-17, 25-27; but John did include the saying by Jesus that Peter would deny him three times (13:36-38). Now, Peter affirms his love three times.

When Jesus foretold his denial, Peter had insisted that he would lay down his life for Jesus. Now that Peter has a much clearer idea of what following Jesus could entail he once again declares his allegiance. He was confident at first. Then he wavered. Now he once again is certain.

What Jesus asks of Peter is to feed his sheep. Peter is not the last follower to be asked to do this.

No comments: