It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Sweet, a Reflection on Psalm 119:97-104

In this week's reading from Jeremiah, the Lord is quoted as saying, "I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts; and I will be their God and they shall be my people." Israel will once again be aware of how to live in a way that will bring them to the kind of life they had been given and then lost.

This portion of Psalm 119 helps us to put into words how we can perceive God's instructions as a blessing to us--rather than an onerous burden. An understanding of this world that God has created, we help us know we may best live in it. In the words of the psalm, God's law makes us wise.

And this wisdom that we have learned affects the way we live, the choices we make.

And we will be glad that we are following God's intentions for us:
How sweet are your words to my taste,
sweeter than honey to my mouth!
Through your precepts I get understanding;
therefore, I hate every false way.

No comments: