It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Hope in God, a reflection on Psalm 43

Many times when we pray, we are expressing gratitude for what has already been provided for us. But, sometimes, we are in situations of despair, of loss, of fear. Psalm 43 gives us the words to pray to God when we have been treated unfairly:
Vindicate me, O God, and defend my cause against an ungodly people; from those who are deceitful and unjust deliver me! 
We ask for defense and for refuge.  And when we need defense and refuge, we turn to God. We ask God to spread light on our situation so we will know what we should do.
O send out your light and your truth; let them lead me.
We have known this, and we have to re-know it from time to time.
Why are you cast down, O my soul, and why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise him, my help and my God. 
Caution: William Holladay, in Long Ago God Spoke, reminds us that the word translated as soul, nepes,  should not be understood as some religious part of us but rather as all that makes up our total being.

No comments: