It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Daily Prayer, Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My mouth shall speak wisdom;
the meditation of my heart shall be understanding.


Morning

Invitatory Psalm 84
How lovely is your dwelling place,
LORD of heavenly forces!
2 My very being longs, even yearns,
for the LORD ’s courtyards.
My heart and my body
will rejoice out loud to the living God!
3 Yes, the sparrow too has found a home there;
the swallow has found herself a nest
where she can lay her young beside your altars,
LORD of heavenly forces, my king, my God!
4 Those who live in your house are truly happy;
they praise you constantly. Selah
….
9 Look at our shield, God;
pay close attention to the face of your anointed one!
10 Better is a single day in your courtyards
than a thousand days anywhere else!
I would prefer to stand outside the entrance of my God’s house
than live comfortably in the tents of the wicked!
11 The LORD is a sun and shield;
God is favor and glory.
The LORD gives—doesn’t withhold!—good things
to those who walk with integrity.
12 LORD of heavenly forces,
those who trust in you are truly happy!
[Common English Bible]

Psalm 97

Psalm 98
Psalm 99

Psalm 101
 
Daily Lectionary Reading, Ecclesiastes 1:12-14
2 Perfectly pointless, [b] says the Teacher, perfectly pointless. Everything is pointless.

12 I am the Teacher. I was king over Israel in Jerusalem. 13 I applied my mind to investigate and to explore by wisdom all that happens under heaven. It’s an unhappy obsession that God has given to human beings. 14 When I observed all that happens under the sun, I realized that everything is pointless, a chasing after wind.
_________________________________________________ b Or meaningless or vapor or puff of air (Heb hebel , which often occurs in the book)
[Common English Bible]

Prayer for Today: God, reduce our obsession with the unimportant, with the transitory. Focus our attention on your wisdom. Amen.


Midday Psalm 119:137-152

Evening
Psalm 115

Psalm 116

Psalm 117

No comments: