It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Daily Prayer, Wednesday, July 31, 2013

I will incline my ear to a proverb;
I will solve my riddle to the music of the harp.


Morning
Invitatory Psalm 100
Shout triumphantly to the LORD , all the earth!
2 Serve the LORD with celebration!
Come before him with shouts of joy!
3 Know that the LORD is God—
he made us; we belong to him.
We are his people,
the sheep of his own pasture.
4 Enter his gates with thanks;
enter his courtyards with praise!
Thank him! Bless his name!
5 Because the LORD is good,
his loyal love lasts forever;
his faithfulness lasts generation after generation.
[Common English Bible]


Psalm 120, 121, 122, 123, 124


Daily Lectionary Reading, Ecclesiastes 2:18-23
18 I hated the things I worked so hard for here under the sun, because I will have to leave them to someone who comes after me. 19 And who knows whether that one will be wise or foolish? Either way, that person will have control over the results of all my hard work and wisdom here under the sun. That too is pointless. 20 I then gave myself up to despair, as I thought about all my laborious hard work under the sun, 21 because sometimes those who have worked hard with wisdom, knowledge, and skill must leave the results of their hard work as a possession to those who haven’t worked hard for it. This too is pointless—it’s a terrible wrong. 22 I mean, What do people get for all their hard work and struggles under the sun? 23 All their days are pain, and their work is aggravation; even at night, their hearts don’t find rest. This too is pointless.
[Common English Bible]

Prayer for Today: Lord, some days I feel gratified, satisfied, with the results of my efforts. But not every day. Some days I despair, find myself sinking in frustration and dissatisfaction with the results of my efforts. Come to me during those days of pain, those days that I find aggravation in my work. Instill within my heart a renewed sense of comfort, a renewed sense of optimism, of assurance of the future. Amen.


Midday Psalm 119:153-160


Evening
Psalm 130

No comments: