It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Monday, July 21, 2014

Reflection on readings for July 21

I call upon you,
for you will answer me, O God;
incline your ear to me,
hear my words.
Wondrously show your steadfast love,
O savior of those who seek refuge
from their adversaries at your right hand.
(Psalm 17:6-7)

2 Chronicles 4:1-6:11

Romans 7:1-13
My source for today is Krister Stendahl, Final Account, Paul's Letter to the Romans. The good that the law has done for us is to provide us with epignosis hamartias, that is, awareness of sin. Stendhahl asserts that verses 7-12 are a midrash on the Fall, that Satan couldn't have tricked Eve without using the law. Paul agrees the law is good, but recognizes that we sin anyway.

Psalm 17:1-15
The psalmist asserts innocence, innocence in every word and deed. I can't help but wonder at least a little if it applies to me when I am in trouble. How often have I contributed to whatever particular difficulty that I find myself in?

Yet, beginning in verse 6, I find the words ones that I can more honestly pray,
I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God;
incline your ear to me, hear my words.
 Wondrously show your steadfast love,
O savior of those who seek refuge
from their adversaries at your right hand.
The psalmist, although in great difficulty, is confident that God will always love and, in that confidence, turns for help.
Guard me as the apple of the eye;
hide me in the shadow of your wings,
from the wicked who despoil me,
my deadly enemies who surround me.
Depending more on the history of what God has done than on the history of what the one making the prayer has done, the psalm concludes with these confident words:
As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness;
when I awake I shall be satisfied, beholding your likeness.
Proverbs 19:22-23
What is desirable in a person is loyalty,
and it is better to be poor than a liar.
The fear of the Lord is life indeed;
filled with it one rests secure and suffers no harm.

Prayer for Today: Pray the verses of Psalm 17 that fit the situation you find yourself today.

No comments: