It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Reflection on readings for September 18

For God alone my soul waits in silence;
from God comes my salvation.
God alone is my rock and salvation, my fortress;
I shall never be shaken.
(Psalm 62:1-2)

Isaiah 28:14-30:11
Their corruption, their misdeeds, their showy but insincere worship make them deserving of punishment. In their devastation, the Lord will redeem them. Advice to a rebellious people: Do it right this time.

Galatians 3:23-4:31
Paul is writing to Gentile Christians who have been told that they must become Jews in order to qualify for being part of God's family. He tells them, and through them, us, that they who are not Jews are still children of God.

Faith is the criterion--not citizenship, status, gender.

Jews are in God's family. Those with faith in Christ are, as well.

The first Christians had to learn to accept non-Jews. Modern day Christians may still be having some difficulties in including people who are different. What are the modern day equivalents in 3:28?

Psalm 62:1-12
"For God alone my soul waits," the psalmist says. [Off on tangent--the word translated as "my soul" carries the meaning of the first person pronoun.] The psalmist expands on the reason for waiting only for God: God protects me. God delivers me.

And we need this refuge, the psalmist reminds us, because nothing else is an adequate substitute. We can't count on important or unimportant people. Moreover (I'm thinking about coining a new word, lessover), extortion and robbery won't save us nor will being rich keep us secure.

For those of us who do not ascribe to the doctrine of works-righteousness, we may be discomfited by verse 12, The Lord repays everybody according to their work.

Proverbs 23:19-21
Hear, my child, and be wise,
and direct your mind in the way.
Do not be among winebibbers,
or among gluttonous eaters of meat;
for the drunkard and the glutton
    will come to poverty,
and drowsiness will clothe them with rags.

Prayer for Today: Pray Psalm 62 today.

No comments: