It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Friday, September 19, 2014

Reflection on readings for September 19

O God, you are my God,
I seek you,
my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you,
as in a dry and weary land
where there is no water.
(Psalm 63:1)

Isaiah 30:12-33:9
Isaiah cautions them that relying on the powerful Egypt will have disastrous results. Yet, the Lord is waiting for them to return and will show mercy despite their rebellious behavior.

Isaiah warns the comfortable and the complacent  that their peace will be disrupted. Yet, justice will dwell and righteousness abide.

Galatians 5:1-12
Instead of commentary, I am offering two quotations:
For you were called to freedom, brothers and sisters; only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for self-indulgence, but through love become slaves to one another (13-14).
The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control....(22) 
Psalm 63:1-11
The psalmist says "my flesh faints for you." Someone who likes to eat when hungry or not and drink when thirsty or not can surely understand how important seeking God when put into these terms.

According to this psalm, we can receive  great joy from feasting on the presence of the Lord in the sanctuary. Or, at least, recognize what it would be like, and recognize what follows from receiving something really good--saying thank you to the provider.

Proverbs 23:22
Listen to your father who begot you,
and do not despise your mother when she is old.

Prayer for Today: Spend some time today remembering the blessings you have already received. Use the words from Psalm 63 to thank the Lord who has provided these blessings:
You have been my help,
and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy.
My soul clings to you;
your right hand upholds me.

No comments: