It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Hard times for the king, a reflection on 1 Maccabees 6:1-17

When someone reported to King Antiochus how the Jews had routed his armies, cleaned out their sanctuary, and rebuilt the walls around it, he was astonished and shaken. In his disappointment, he took to his bed realizing that he was dying.

Unable to sleep, downhearted with worry, he confessed that he had been wrong to invade Jerusalem, to destroy its inhabitants, to seize the silver and gold in the temple. He said, "I know that it is because of this that these misfortunes have come upon me; here I am, perishing of bitter disappointment in a strange land."

King Antiochus died.  Lysias appointed  his son, also named Antiochus to succeed his father. Or, is Philip the successor?

No comments: