It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Hope in God, a Reflection on Psalm 42

An alternate response to the alternate Old Testament reading is Psalm 42. In 1 Kings, the fleeing prophet is hungry and the woman who offers him refuge is hungry. God provides all she needs to take care of herself and her son and the traveler.

In Psalm 42, the psalmist uses food and water metaphorically: "I want God as much as a deer wants water to drink," and "All I've had to eat for days have been my tears."

This psalm begins with someone who is downcast as we can imagine both Elijah and the widow being, as we can remember how we have been at times.

I can imagine someone in a situation like Elijah's having the feelings expressed in verses 9-10:
I say to God, my rock, "Why have you forgotttten me? Why must I walk about mournfully because the emeny oppresses me?" As with a deadly wound in my body, my adversaries tanunt me, while they say to me continually, "Where is your God?"


What do we do when we are in despair? The psalm responds "Have hope in God. The Lord will care for me."

No comments: