It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Judgment of God, a Reflection on Psalm 76

We have learned about God because the ancient Hebrew people noticed what God was doing and remembered and then told about it.

Psalm 76 gives us an example of this process. When Judah was threatened by a powerful enemy,  God rescued them. They recognized God's power. And they feared God's anger.

They knew God to be a powerful judge. We hear people today say something like, "God must really like me because I have all this stuff--or because something favorable happened to me." Does my being successful at something mean that God favors my cause? Maybe not. Read verse 9, God saves the oppressed, and verse 11, God scares princes and kings.

God's desire according to this psalm is not to pile treasures on beloved ones but rather to protect those people that need protection. And God expects us to participate in this effort.

No comments: