It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Reflection on One-Year-Bible readings for December 23

With my voice I cry to the Lord; 
with my voice I make supplication to the Lord
(Psalm 142:1)

Zechariah 4:1-5:11
Fifth vision: a lamp stand of gold, with a bowl and seven lamps and by them, two olive trees. The angel interprets: The eyes of the Lord see everything. Two anointed ones will stand by the Lord.

Sixth vision: Basket and Woman. Interpretation: The woman represents wickedness and will be stuffed back in the basket.

We may well be troubled that a woman symbolizes wickedness. How much does this assumption permeate the rest of scripture?

Revelation 14:1-20
Judgment is coming. As in Zechariah, women are classified as wicked.

Psalm 142:1-7
A prayer of complaint for someone facing persecution who feels abandoned, "O Lord, you are my refuge. Save me."

Proverbs 30:21-23
....

Prayer for Today: O Lord, forgive us for the times that we have sinned by committing wrong acts and neglecting to carry out the good that you intend for us to do. Protect us from harm. Amen.

No comments: