It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Hundreds Volunteer On National Day Of Action More Than 200 Show Up At Local YMCA

The Clarion Ledger reports that on Saturday, more than 200 volunteers answered the call of the United Way for its National Day of Action, reaching out to communities that need help.

A team of volunteers also did some landscaping at the Mission First Clinic in Jackson. In Madison, a group helped build a house for a low-income family. In Rankin County, volunteers built a playground at the Center for Violence Protection.

http://www.wapt.com/news/16674399/detail.html

As I read about how these volunteers have chosen to spend the day, I am thinking about two of this week' s lections:

"The death he died, he died to sin, once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God," Romans 6:10.

"Whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worth of me," Matthew 10:33.

No comments: