It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

The People All Answered, Reflections on Exodus 19

I saw something new in this passage when I read Rabbi Julie K. Gordon's essay in The Women's Torah Commentary. She asks , "As the Ten Commandments are revealed to the Jewish people on Mount Sinai, did God address women as well as men?" She continues by pointing out that many of the instructions given through Moses are aimed specifically at men. But, all are of them?

This point then leads me to think of the mixed crowd (motley, in some translations, that accompanied them on the trek through the wilderness (Genesis 12:38). Are they included?

A further thought: Moses may have had one audience in mind, but God may thinking of a much larger one.

No comments: