It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Praise, Reflection on Psalm 145:1-5

I learned something today, as I often do when I read something of his, in Robert Alter's The Book of Psalms.

This is not the only praise psalm, but it is the only one that is designated as such. According to Alter, the set title for the Book of Psalms is Tehilim, the plural form of the word we translate as "praise." They gave this book that name, although the largest number of psalms are lamentations. Of course, almost all the lamentations (88 is an exception) contain elements of praise.

Alter points out that Psalm 145 is the first of the six-psalm series that ends the book. These six are all praise psalms.

Notice how this psalm begins with individual praise, "I will extol you....". But, this praise is not between just God and me: "One generation shall laud your work to another." Further, this praise is not just once in a while: "Every day I will bless you."

No comments: