It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Prophet Identification, a reflection on Matthew 11:7-11

Jesus began to speak to the crowds about John, "What did you go out to the wilderness to look at? What did you expect to see? What did you think a prophet would look like?" He questioned whether they were more impressed by rich people with fine clothes.

He then quoted Malachi, "See, I am sending my messenger to prepare the way before me..." (3:1a). Malachi was prophesying that Elijah would return before the great day of the Lord (4:1-5).

What would Jesus say to us? Where are we looking for a prophet? What do we think a prophet looks like? What kind of buildings and clothes impress us? What kind of prophet did Herod want?

No comments: