It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Daily Prayer, Friday, July 8

Accept my offerings of praise, O Lord, and teach me your ordinances (Psalm 119:109)

Morning
Invitatory Psalm 118
O Lord, we give thanks to to you, for you are good;
your steadfast love endures forever!
….
Out of my distress I called on the Lord;
the Lord answered me and set me in a broad place.
With the Lord on my side I do not fear.
What can mortals do to me?
….
Open to me the gates of righteousness,
that I may enter through them
and give thanks to the Lord.

This is the gate of the Lord;
the righteous shall enter through it.


Psalms 76, 80

Daily Lectionary Reading, Isaiah 55:10-13
10 Just as the rain and the snow
come down from the sky
and don’t return there
without watering the earth,
making it conceive and yield plants
and providing seed to the sower
and food to the eater,
11 so is my word
that comes from my mouth;
it does not return to me empty.
Instead, it does what I want,
and accomplishes what I intend.
12 Yes, you will go out with celebration,
a nd you will be brought back in peace.
Even the mountains and the hills
will burst into song before you;
all the trees of the field
will clap their hands.
13 In place of the thorn
the cypress will grow;
in place of the nettle
the myrtle will grow.
This will attest to the LORD’s stature,
an enduring reminder
that won’t be removed. [Common English Bible]

Prayer for Today:
O Lord, we see your work in the good that is all around us--Rain comes down and waters our crops so that we may have sufficient food. Open our eyes to see your other gifts--how your word can come to us and nourish us so that we can grow to provide gifts for all those who need them. Amen.

Midday Psalm 119:121-128

Evening
Psalm 106

No comments: