It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Daily Prayer, Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Praise the Lord! We sing to you a new song. Praise the Lord! (from Psalm 149)




Morning
Invitatory Psalm 84
How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord of hosts!
My soul longs, indeed it faints for the courts of the Lord;
....

O Lord God of hosts, hear my prayer;
give ear, O God of Jacob!
Behold our shield, O God;
look on the face of your anointed.

...





Psalms 65, 66, 70


Psalm 65

1Praise is due to you, O God, in Zion; and to you shall vows be performed, 2 O you who answer prayer! To you all flesh shall come. 3 When deeds of iniquity overwhelm us, you forgive our transgressions.

4Happy are those whom you choose and bring near to live in your courts. We shall be satisfied with the goodness of your house, your holy temple.

5By awesome deeds you answer us with deliverance, O God of our salvation; you are the hope of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest seas. 6By your strength you established the mountains; you are girded with might. 7 You silence the roaring of the seas, the roaring of their waves, the tumult of the peoples.
....

Psalm 66

1Make a joyful noise to God, all the earth;
2 we sing the glory of your name; we give you glorious praise.

3Say to God, “How awesome are your deeds! Because of your great power, your enemies cringe before you. 4All the earth worships you; they sing praises to you, sing praises to your name.”

5 Come and see what God has done: he is awesome in deeds among mortals.
....8Bless our God, O peoples, let the sound of  praise be heard, 9 who has kept us among the living, and has not let our feet slip.

18If I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have listened. 19But truly God has listened and has given heed to the words of my prayer.

20Blessed be God, you have not rejected my prayer or removed your steadfast love from me.

Psalm 70

1Be pleased, O God, to deliver me. O Lord, make haste to help me!….4Let all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you. Let those who love your salvation say evermore, “God is great!”

5 I am poor and needy; hasten to me, O God! You are my help and my deliverer; O Lord, do not delay!




Daily Lectionary Reading, Ezekiel 33:7-11
7 You, human one, I’ve made you a lookout for the house of Israel. Whenever you hear me speaking, you must give them warning from me. 8 If I pronounce a death sentence on wicked people, and you don’t warn them to turn from their way, they will die in their guilt, but I will hold you responsible for their blood. 9 But suppose you do warn the wicked of their ways so that they might turn from them. If they don’t turn from their ways, they will die in their guilt, but you will save your life. 10 You, human one, say to the house of Israel: This is what all of you are saying: “ How our transgressions and our sins weigh on us! We waste away because of them. How can we live? ” 11 Say to them, This is what the LORD God says: As surely as I live, do I take pleasure in the death of the wicked? If the wicked turn from their ways, they will live. Turn, completely turn from your wicked ways! Why should you die, house of Israel? [Common English Bible]


Today's Prayer: O Lord, you have entrusted us with the responsibility to convey your word. Teach us how to speak in a way and with words that will truthfully and effectively deliver that word to all who need it. Teach us to demonstrate your loving care. Amen.




Midday Psalm 119:97-104


Evening
Psalms 102. 103

Psalm 102

1Hear my prayer, O Lord; let my cry come to you. 2 Do not hide your face from me in the day of my distress. Incline your ear to me; answer me speedily in the day when I call.
….

7 I lie awake; I am like a lonely bird on the housetop. 8 All day long my enemies taunt me; those who deride me use my name for a curse.
...
11 My days are like an evening shadow; I wither away like grass. 12 But you, O Lord, are enthroned forever; your name endures to all generations.

.… 17 You will regard the prayer of the destitute, and will not despise their prayer.

….25 Long ago you laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. 26 They will perish, but you endure; they will all wear out like a garment. You change them like clothing, and they pass away; 27 but you are the same, and your years have no end. 28 The children of your servants shall live secure; their offspring shall be established in your presence.

Psalm 103

1Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless your holy name.
2Bless the Lord, O my soul, we do not forget all your benefits—3who forgives all our iniquity, who heals all our diseases, 4 who redeems our life from the Pit, who crowns us with steadfast love and mercy, 5 who satisfies us with good as long as we live so that our youth is renewed like the eagle’s.

6 The Lord works vindication and justice for all who are oppressed.
8 The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.

9 You will not always accuse, nor will you keep your anger forever. 10 You do not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities. 11 For as the heavens are high above the earth, so great is your steadfast love toward those who fear you;

12as far as the east is from the west, so far you removes our transgressions from us.

13 As a parent has compassion for his children, so you have compassion for those who fear you. 14For you know how we were made; you remember that we are dust. 15 As for mortals, their days are like grass; they flourish like a flower of the field; 16 for the wind passes over it, and it is gone, and its place knows it no more.

17But the steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear you, and you righteousness to children’s children, 18to those who keep your covenant and remember to do your commandments.

19 You have established your throne in the heavens, and your kingdom rules over all.….

Bless the Lord, O my soul.

No comments: