It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Daily Prayer, Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Restore us, O God;
  let your face shine, that we may be saved.

Morning
Invitatory Psalm Tuesday 84
How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord of hosts!
My soul longs, indeed it faints for the courts of the Lord;
my heart and my flesh sing for joy to the living God.

Even the sparrow finds a home, and the swallow for herself
where she may lay her you, at your altars, O Lord of hosts, my Ruler and my God.
Happy are those who live in your house, ever singing your praise.
....


Psalm 65
1Praise is due to you, O God, in Zion; and to you shall vows be performed, 2 O you who answer prayer! To you all flesh shall come. 3 When deeds of iniquity overwhelm us, you forgive our transgressions.

4Happy are those whom you choose and bring near to live in your courts. We shall be satisfied with the goodness of your house, your holy temple.

5By awesome deeds you answer us with deliverance, O God of our salvation; you are the hope of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest seas. 6By your strength you established the mountains; you are girded with might. 7 You silence the roaring of the seas, the roaring of their waves, the tumult of the peoples.

8Those who live at earth’s farthest bounds are awed by your signs; you make the gateways of the morning and the evening shout for joy. 9You visit the earth and water it, you greatly enrich it; the river of God is full of water; you provide the people with grain, for so you have prepared it. 10You water its furrows abundantly, settling its ridges, softening it with showers, and blessing its growth.

11You crown the year with your bounty; your wagon tracks overflow with richness. 12The pastures of the wilderness overflow, the hills gird themselves with joy, 13the meadows clothe themselves with flocks, the valleys deck themselves with grain, they shout and sing together for joy.

Psalm 66
1Make a joyful noise to God, all the earth;
2 we sing the glory of your name; we give you glorious praise.

3Say to God, “How awesome are your deeds! Because of your great power, your enemies cringe before you. 4All the earth worships you; they sing praises to you, sing praises to your name.”

5 Come and see what God has done: God is awesome in deeds among mortals.
6 God turned the sea into dry land; they passed through the river on foot. There we rejoiced in the One 7 who rules forever, whose eyes keep watch on the nations— let the rebellious not exalt themselves.

8Bless our God, O peoples, let the sound of  praise be heard, 9 who has kept us among the living, and has not let our feet slip.
….
18If I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have listened. 19But truly God has listened and has given heed to the words of my prayer. 20Blessed be God, you have not rejected my prayer or removed your steadfast love from me.

Psalm 70
1Be pleased, O God, to deliver me. O Lord, make haste to help me!….4Let all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you. Let those who love your salvation say evermore, “God is great!”

5 I am poor and needy; hasten to me, O God! You are my help and my deliverer; O Lord, do not delay!


Daily Lectionary Reading, Isaiah 5:1-7

Let me sing for my loved one
a love song for his vineyard.
My loved one had a vineyard
on a fertile hillside.
2 He dug it,
cleared away its stones,
planted it with excellent vines,
built a tower inside it,
and dug out a wine vat in it.
He expected it to grow good grapes—
but it grew rotten grapes.
3 So now, you who live in Jerusalem,
you people of Judah,
judge between me and my vineyard:
4 What more was there to do
for my vineyard
that I haven’t done for it?
When I expected it
to grow good grapes,
why did it grow rotten grapes?
5 Now let me tell you
what I’m doing to my vineyard.
I’m removing its hedge,
so it will be destroyed.
I’m breaking down its walls,
so it will be trampled.
6 I’ll turn it into a ruin;
it won’t be pruned or hoed,
and thorns and thistles will grow up.
I will command the clouds
not to rain on it.
7 The vineyard of
the LORD of heavenly forces
is the house of Israel,
and the people of Judah
are the plantings
in which God delighted.
God expected justice,
but there was bloodshed;
righteousness,
but there was a cry of distress!

Today's Prayer: O God, what do you think about how we have used the gifts you have shared with us? What do we think about the various ways that you protect us from dangers? Or, do we think about them at all? Forgive us for the ways we have misused your gifts, the times that we have neglected your concerns. Forgive us. Remind us of your expectations and lead us into being the kind of people that we should be. Amen.


Midday Psalm 119:97-104


Evening

Psalm 102
1Hear my prayer, O Lord; let my cry come to you. 2 Do not hide your face from me in the day of my distress. Incline your ear to me; answer me speedily in the day when I call.
….
7 I lie awake; I am like a lonely bird on the housetop. 8 All day long my enemies taunt me; those who deride me use my name for a curse.
...
11 My days are like an evening shadow; I wither away like grass. 12 But you, O Lord, are enthroned forever; your name endures to all generations.

.…
17 You will regard the prayer of the destitute, and will not despise their prayer.
….
25 Long ago you laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. 26 They will perish, but you endure; they will all wear out like a garment. You change them like clothing, and they pass away; 27 but you are the same, and your years have no end. 28 The children of your servants shall live secure; their offspring shall be established in your presence.

Psalm 103
1Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless your holy name.
2Bless the Lord, O my soul, we do not forget all your benefits—3who forgives all our iniquity, who heals all our diseases, 4 who redeems our life from the Pit, who crowns us with steadfast love and mercy, 5 who satisfies us with good as long as we live so that our youth is renewed like the eagle’s.

6 The Lord works vindication and justice for all who are oppressed.
8 The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.

9 You will not always accuse, nor will you keep your anger forever. 10 You do not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities. 11 For as the heavens are high above the earth, so great is your steadfast love toward those who fear you; 12as far as the east is from the west, so far you removes our transgressions from us.

13 As a parent has compassion for his children, so you have compassion for those who fear you. 14For you know how we were made; you remember that we are dust. 15 As for mortals, their days are like grass; they flourish like a flower of the field; 16 for the wind passes over it, and it is gone, and its place knows it no more.

17But the steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear you, and you righteousness to children’s children, 18to those who keep your covenant and remember to do your commandments.

19 You have established your throne in the heavens, and your kingdom rules over all.….

Bless the Lord, O my soul.



No comments: