It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Daily Prayer, Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Ascribe to the Lord, O heavenly beings,
ascribe to the Lord glory and strength.

Morning
Invitatory Psalm 100
Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth.
Worship the Lord with gladness;
come into his presence with singing.

Know that the Lord is God.
It is he that made us, and we are his;
we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture.

Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
   and his courts with praise.
Give thanks to him, bless his name.
For the Lord is good;
his steadfast love endures forever,
   and his faithfulness to all generations.

Psalm 37
Do not fret because of the wicked;
do not be envious of wrongdoers,
for they will soon fade like the grass,
   and wither like the green herb.

Trust in the Lord, and do good;
so you will live in the land, and enjoy security.
Take delight in the Lord,
   and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the Lord;
trust in him, and he will act.
He will make your vindication shine like the light,
   and the justice of your cause like the noonday.

Be still before the Lord, and wait patiently for him;
do not fret over those who prosper in their way,
   over those who carry out evil devices.
Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath.
Do not fret—it leads only to evil.
For the wicked shall be cut off,
   but those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the land.
Yet a little while, and the wicked will be no more;
though you look diligently for their place,
they will not be there.

But the meek shall inherit the land,
   and delight themselves in abundant prosperity.
The wicked plot against the righteous,
   and gnash their teeth at them;
but the Lord laughs at the wicked,
   for he sees that their day is coming.
The wicked draw the sword and bend their bows
   to bring down the poor and needy,
   to kill those who walk uprightly;
their sword shall enter their own heart,
   and their bows shall be broken.

Better is a little that the righteous person has
   than the abundance of many wicked.
For the arms of the wicked shall be broken,
but the Lord upholds the righteous.
The Lord knows the days of the blameless,
   and their heritage will abide forever;
they are not put to shame in evil times,
   in the days of famine they have abundance.

But the wicked perish, and the enemies of the Lord
   are like the glory of the pastures;
they vanish—like smoke they vanish away.
The wicked borrow, and do not pay back,
   but the righteous are generous and keep giving;
for those blessed by the Lord shall inherit the land,
   but those cursed by him shall be cut off.

Our steps are made firm by the Lord,
   when he delights in our way;
though we stumble, we shall not fall headlong, f
   or the Lord holds us by the hand.
I have been young, and now am old,
yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken
   or their children begging bread.
They are ever giving liberally and lending,
  and their children become a blessing.
Depart from evil, and do good;
  so you shall abide forever.
For the Lord loves justice;
he will not forsake his faithful ones.
The righteous shall be kept safe forever,
   but the children of the wicked shall be cut off.
The righteous shall inherit the land, and live in it forever.
The mouths of the righteous utter wisdom,
   and their tongues speak justice.
The law of their God is in their hearts;
their steps do not slip.
The wicked watch for the righteous,
   and seek to kill them.
The Lord will not abandon them to their power,
 or let them be condemned when they are brought to trial.
Wait for the Lord, and keep to his way,
   and he will exalt you to inherit the land;
you will look on the destruction of the wicked.
I have seen the wicked oppressing,
   and towering like a cedar of Lebanon.
Again I passed by, and they were no more;
though I sought them, they could not be found.
Mark the blameless, and behold the upright,
for there is posterity for the peaceable.
But transgressors shall be altogether destroyed;
the posterity of the wicked shall be cut off.
The salvation of the righteous is from the Lord;
he is their refuge in the time of trouble.
The Lord helps them and rescues them;
he rescues them from the wicked, and saves them,
   because they take refuge in him.

Daily Lectionary Reading, Isaiah 6:1-8
In the year of King Uzziah’s death, I saw the Lord sitting on a high and exalted throne, the edges of his robe filling the temple. 2 Winged creatures were stationed around him. Each had six wings: with two they veiled their faces, with two their feet, and with two they flew about. 3 They shouted to each other, saying: 

“ Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of heavenly forces! All the earth is filled with God’s glory! ” 
4 The doorframe shook at the sound of their shouting, and the house was filled with smoke. 5 I said, “ Mourn for me; I’m ruined! I’m a man with unclean lips, and I live among a people with unclean lips. Yet I’ve seen the king, the LORD of heavenly forces! ” 6 Then one of the winged creatures flew to me, holding a glowing coal that he had taken from the altar with tongs. 7 He touched my mouth and said, “ See, this has touched your lips. Your guilt has departed, and your sin is removed. ” 


8 Then I heard the Lord’s voice saying, “ Whom should I send, and who will go for us? ” I said, “ I’m here; send me. ” [Common English Bible]


Prayer for Today: Holy, holy Lord. All the earth is filled with your glory. You come to us, weak and undeserving as we are. You come to us even though we do not deserve your presence, even though we have been sinful. You come to us and call us to do work that needs to be done. Wake us. Rouse us. Strengthen us so that we can answer your call. Amen.

Midday Psalm 119:57-67
The Lord is my portion;
I promise to keep your words.
I implore your favor with all my heart;
be gracious to me according to your promise.
When I think of your ways,
   I turn my feet to your decrees;
I hurry and do not delay to keep your commandments.
Though the cords of the wicked ensnare me,
I do not forget your law.
At midnight I rise to praise you,
   because of your righteous ordinances.
I am a companion of all who fear you,
   of those who keep your precepts.
The earth, O Lord, is full of your steadfast love;
teach me your statutes.
You have dealt well with your servant,
   O Lord, according to your word.
Teach me good judgment and knowledge,
   for I believe in your commandments.
Before I was humbled I went astray,
   but now I keep your word.

Evening

Psalm 63
O God, you are my God, I seek you,
my soul thirsts for you;
my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land
   where there is no water.

So I have looked upon you in the sanctuary,
   beholding your power and glory.
Because your steadfast love is better than life,
   my lips will praise you.
So I will bless you as long as I live;
I will lift up my hands and call on your name.

My soul is satisfied as with a rich feast,
and my mouth praises you with joyful lips
   when I think of you on my bed,
   and meditate on you in the watches of the night;

for you have been my help,
and in the shadow of your wings I sing for joy.
My soul clings to you;
your right hand upholds me.
….

Psalm 68
Let God rise up,
let his enemies be scattered;
let those who hate him flee before him.
As smoke is driven away,
   so drive them away;
as wax melts before the fire,
let the wicked perish before God.
But let the righteous be joyful;
let them exult before God;
let them be jubilant with joy.

Sing to God, sing praises to his name;
lift up a song to him who rides upon the clouds
   —his name is the Lord— be exultant before him.

Father of orphans and protector of widows
   is God in his holy habitation.
God gives the desolate a home to live in;
he leads out the prisoners to prosperity,
   but the rebellious live in a parched land.

O God, when you went out before your people,
when you marched through the wilderness, Selah

the earth quaked, the heavens poured down rain
   at the presence of God, the God of Sinai,
   at the presence of God, the God of Israel.

Rain in abundance, O God, you showered abroad;
you restored your heritage when it languished;
your flock found a dwelling in it;
in your goodness, O God, you provided for the needy.

The Lord gives the command;
great is the company of those who bore the tidings:
“The kings of the armies, they flee, they flee!”
The women at home divide the spoil,
though they stay among the sheepfolds
   — the wings of a dove covered with silver,
   its pinions with green gold.
When the Almighty scattered kings there,
   snow fell on Zalmon.
O mighty mountain, mountain of Bashan;
O many-peaked mountain, mountain of Bashan!
Why do you look with envy, O many-peaked mountain,
   at the mount that God desired for his abode,
   where the Lord will reside forever?
….
Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears us up;
God is our salvation. Selah
Our God is a God of salvation,
   and to God, the Lord, belongs escape from death.
….

Your solemn processions are seen, O God,
   the processions of my God, my King, into the sanctuary—
   the singers in front, the musicians last,
   between them girls playing tambourines:

“Bless God in the great congregation, the Lord,
   O you who are of Israel’s fountain!”
There is Benjamin, the least of them, in the lead,
the princes of Judah in a body,
the princes of Zebulun, the princes of Naphtali.

Summon your might, O God;
show your strength, O God,
   as you have done for us before.

Because of your temple at Jerusalem kings bear gifts to you.
Rebuke the wild animals that live among the reeds,
   the herd of bulls with the calves of the peoples.
Trample under foot those who lust after tribute;
scatter the peoples who delight in war.
Let bronze be brought from Egypt;
let Ethiopia hasten to stretch out its hands to God.

Sing to God, O kingdoms of the earth;

sing praises to the Lord, Selah
O rider in the heavens, the ancient heavens;
listen, he sends out his voice, his mighty voice.
Ascribe power to God, whose majesty is over Israel;
   and whose power is in the skies.
Awesome is God in his sanctuary, the God of Israel;
he gives power and strength to his people.

Blessed be God!

No comments: