It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Friday, May 31, 2013

Daily Prayer, Friday, May 31, 2013

Ascribe to the Lord the glory due his name;
bring an offering, and come into his courts.

Morning
Invitatory Psalm
118

O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good;
his steadfast love endures forever!
....
Out of my distress I called on the Lord;
the Lord answered me and set me in a broad place.

With the Lord on my side I do not fear.
What can mortals do to me?
The Lord is on my side to help me;
I shall look in triumph on those who hate me.
It is better to take refuge in the Lord
  than to put confidence in mortals.
It is better to take refuge in the Lord
  than to put confidence in princes.

….
The Lord is my strength and my might;
he has become my salvation.

….

Open to me the gates of righteousness,
  that I may enter through them
  and give thanks to the Lord.
This is the gate of the Lord;
the righteous shall enter through it.

I thank you that you have answered me
  and have become my salvation.

The stone that the builders rejected
  has become the chief cornerstone.
This is the Lord’s doing;
it is marvelous in our eyes.
This is the day that the Lord has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it.
....


Psalm 76, 80


Daily Lectionary Reading, Psalm 96:6-13
6 Greatness and grandeur are in front of him;
strength and beauty are in his sanctuary.
7 Give to the LORD , all families of the nations—
give to the LORD glory and power!
8 Give to the LORD the glory due his name!
Bring gifts!
Enter his courtyards!
9 Bow down to the LORD in his holy splendor!
Tremble before him, all the earth!
10 Tell the nations, “ The LORD rules!
Yes, he set the world firmly in place; [h]
it won’t be shaken.
He will judge all people fairly. ”
11 Let heaven celebrate! Let the earth rejoice!
Let the sea and everything in it roar!
12 Let the countryside and everything in it celebrate!
Then all the trees of the forest too
will shout out joyfully
13 before the LORD because he is coming!
He is coming to establish justice on the earth!
He will establish justice in the world rightly.
He will establish justice among all people fairly.
_________________________________________________
h  LXX, Vulg; MT the world is firmly established ; cf Ps 93:1
[Common English Bible]

Prayer for Today: Choose a prayer from Joan Stott's website Timeless Psalms.

Midday Psalm 119:121-128

Evening
Psalm 106

No comments: