It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Monday, January 26, 2015

Sirach 8-12

Occasionally I need to remind myself  that our Bible was written by men to male audience. And, sometimes, I need to remember that this book of wisdom, like much (all?) of our Bible was written to faithful Jews who were living in a place that was being ruled by a powerful foreign nation that definitely was not Jewish.

That said, much of the advice in chapters 8 through 12 is still applicable and helpful but cynical; don't be rude to the rich because they have enough resources to overcome you; don't ignore the advice of the elderly; don't abandon old friends; don't get mad about everything; and, if you hang out with sinners, you will get what you deserve.

No comments: