It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Friday, January 16, 2015

Wisdom of Solomon 1-2

Commentators conclude that this book was compiled in the first century BCE. Although it seems to have originally been written in Greek, its author is Jewish. It reminds of the wisdom books that we include in our Bible: Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes.

Chapters 1 gives advice and encouragement to people who are in charge: Love righteousness. Don't grumble. Don't lie. Don't overeat or overdrink. Don't be misled into thinking that the wicked will get by with it.

Question to myself: If I were giving advice to a powerful person, would I begin with saying, "Be righteous."?

No comments: