It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Reflection on Psalm 46

In her sermon on Psalm 46 this morning, the preacher cited verses 4 and 5: "There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy habitation of the Most High. God is in the midst of the city; it shall not be moved; God will help it when the morning dawns."

She told us that the church is the new city of God. I thought that many people feel safer living in the suburbs.

2 comments:

Craig L. Adams said...

I'm wondering if, for the Psalmist, the city was a place of refuge, rather than a place to live.

I think that kinda messes up the identification of the City of God with the Church, too.

Sunday's Child said...

I think that the Psalmist probably was referring to Jerusalem--but as an actual place and as a metaphor.

But, if I were to accept the modern-day church with the City of God, I would still assert that many of us find it too much trouble to meet with being the church--that is, doing what God expects the church to do. So, I like the metaphor of the suburb as a place where we can avoid the difficulties of the city--that is, those expectations of God.