It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Risk/Benefit Analysis, Reflecting on Matthew 10:27-33

Jesus continues to prepare his disciples for what they may perceive as the downside of discipleship. "You will be maligned. Do not fear those who want to harm you."

Jesus does not promise that faithfulness is easy, or always pleasant, or even very safe. He does promise "God knows you and values you," and "I will tell God about your faithfulness to me."

I look at the warnings in these verses and wonder how dangerous is Christianity to us today? Do we feel at risk if we choose to participate in the kind of life that Jesus modeled for us? Does the warning in verse 33 affect my decisions?

No comments: