It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Monday, May 12, 2014

Reflection on readings for May 12

My heart is steadfast, O God,
my heart is steadfast;
I will sing and make melody.
Awake, my soul!
Awake, O harp and lyre!
I will awake the dawn.
I will give thanks to you, O Lord,
    among the peoples,
and I will sing praises to you
    among the nations.
For your steadfast love is higher
    than the heavens,
and your faithfulness reaches
    to the clouds.
(Psalm 108:1-4)

1 Samuel 12:1-13:23
Samuel told them they were wrong to insist on having a king and to give thought to all that the Lord had already done for them and could continue to do. Who would we rather have authority over our lives?

When King Saul and his army were camped waiting battle against tens of thousands of Philistines, he got tired of waiting for Samuel to preside over the offerings. When Samuel did finally arrive, he was angry that Saul had usurped his priestly duty. He told Saul that his kingship was not going to last long.

John 7:1-30
Jesus said that the world hated him because he testified against evil acts. When some religious people criticized him, he responded by accusing them of not adhering to God's law.

Psalm 108:1-13

Proverbs 15:4
A gentle tongue is a tree of life,
but perseverence in it breaks the spirit

Prayer for Today: O Lord, help us to recognize your will and to follow it. Amen.

No comments: