It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Friday, May 30, 2014

Reflection on readings for May 30

You are my hiding place and my shield;
I hope in your word.
(Psalm 119:114)

2 Samuel 15:23-16:23
As the support for Absalom increased, David fled, along with a a large entourage of wives, servants, and officials. David directed that the Ark should remain in Jerusalem as he expressed his belief that the Lord would choose who should be king. One of his wisest counselors, Ahithophel, deserted him for Absalom. David sent Hushai to spy for him.

Hushai approached Absalom and expressed allegiance to him.

On advice of Ahithophel, Absalom to take over his father's concubines.

John 18:25-19:22
Pilate's questions: Are you the King of the Jews? What have you done that has caused you to be arrested?

Pilate's job is to protect his government and he wants to know if this man Jesus is a threat to peace and stability.

Jesus responds that he is not the kind of king that Pilate has been trained to watch out for. He doesn't have an army, for example.

Pilate asks again: Are you a king? Jesus responds "That's what you say," then adds some remarks that I think would have been unintelligible to Pilate:
For this I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice. 
And, isn't it hard to understand how truth can prevail without having an army? without being a threat to powerful people? How can we defend ourselves against truth, anyway? 
After all, Jesus didn't say that his followers were going to withdraw from the world. He said that it wasn't the world that gave him his authority.
Pilate sentenced him to death.

Psalm 119:113-128

Proverbs 16:10-11
Inspired decisions are on the lips of a king;
his mouth does not sin in judgment.
Honest balances and scales are the Lord's;
all the weights  in his bag are his work.

Prayer for Today: O Lord, when I am faced today with your presence, with your intention for me, help me to know who you are, to remember what your will for me is, and to show you to the world. Amen.

No comments: