It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Reflection on readings for May 31

Turn to me 
   and be gracious to me,
as is your custom toward those
   who love your name.
With my whole heart I cry;
   answer me, O Lord.
I will keep your statutes.
(Psalm 119:132, 145)

2 Samuel 17:1-29
Absalom trusted Hushai but shouldn't have.

John 19:23-42
Jesus said to his mother, "Woman, here is your son" and to his beloved disciple, "Here is your mother." The world still has people who have lost their means of support, still has people able to provide nurture and companionship.

Psalm 119:129-152
This portion of Psalm 119 assumes that we religious people are going to have a reason to complain, "Trouble and anguish have come upon me." But, the main thrust is our trust that the Lord is in charge and will make things right for us. And, because we believe this, we will act the way the Lord intended for us to act, "Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and your law is the truth."

Proverbs 16:12-13
It is an abomination to kings to do evil,
for the throne is established by righteousness.
Righteous lips are the delight of a king,
and he loves those who speak what is right.

Prayer for Today: Choose a prayer from Joan Stott's website The Timeless Psalms.

No comments: