It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

Reflection on readings for July 17

How long, O Lord?
Will you forget me forever?
How long will you hide 
      your face from me?
(Psalm 13:1)

1 Chronicles 24:1-26:11
Changes in the situation may require changes in organization. A change in leadership is considered a change in the situation.

Romans 4:1-12
Must Gentiles be circumcised before they can be considered Christian? Our ancestor Abraham, while yet uncircumcised, believed God who recognized his righteousness. Paul concludes "The purpose was to make him the ancestor of all who believe without being circumcised and who thus have righteousness reckoned to them."

Can we metaphorize circumcision to fit present day exclusions and inclusions?

Psalm 13:1-6
Another lament. The psalmist is suffering and has been suffering, feels forgotten by the Lord. But, even in despair, turning still to the Lord for attention.

I'm struck today by the use of two different tenses in verse 5 (I'm using an English translation, not reading the Hebrew). "I trusted" indicates something I have already been doing. But, then, "shall rejoice" may indicate that I am going to respond to my rescue that I am sure will happen.

Verse 6 is not ambiguous: the rescue has happened.

Proverbs 19:15-16
Laziness brings on deep sleep;
an idle person will suffer hunger.
Those who keep
    the commandment will live;
those who are heedless 
    of their ways will die

Prayer for Today: O Lord our God, we step away from our routines for a moment to acknowledge your presence. We are grateful for the many blessings that you have given us. Help us now to respond to those blessings. Help us to be as inclusive as you have been. Amen.

No comments: