It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Reflection on readings for July 5

But you, O Lord, are a shield around me,
my glory, and the who lifts up my head.
I cry aloud to the Lord,
and the Lord answers me from the holy hill.
(adapted from Psalm 3:3-4)

1 Chronicles 1:1-2:17
I begin reading 1 Chronicles. The opening verse begins, "Adam, Seth, Enosh." I glance at the rest and see more genealogy, some familiar, a lot not.

So, I turned to Christine Mitchell's essay in Women's Bible Commentary. She points out that while almost all of Chronicles has some parallel with another biblical text, it does not follow those source texts slavishly. Chronicles omits most of the stories about the northern kingdom of Israel, and, instead, focuses on the southern kingdom, Jerusalem and the temple.

Mitchell points out that bible scholars conclude that Chronicles was written in the 5th to 4th centuries BCE, the latter part of the Persian period, and tells the story of what the rest of the world would have considered an unimportant place.

Acts 23:11-35
Paul is rescued from a planned ambush. His citizenship was the reason. A Roman official orchestrated Paul's escape from Jerusalem. Escape may be only temporary, though, Paul will face trial in Caesarea before the Roman govenor.

Psalm 3:1-8

Proverbs 18:14-15
The human spirit will endure sickness;
but a broken spirit--who can bear?
An intelligent mind acquires knowledge,
and the ear of the wise seeks knowledge.

Prayer for Today: O Lord, calm our fears. Deliver us. Bless us. Amen.

No comments: