It took a year to read the Bible, then almost 9 months to read the Apocrypha. Now, I'm going to try to offer reflections on the Narrative Lectionary. But, I won't be posting daily--at least, for a while.

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Rebuke and Reassurance, Reflection on Jeremiah 15:15-21

The prophet Jeremiah, as he often does--and not without reason, has been complaining. God has told him things are going to get worse (15:13-14).

Jeremiah complains again, "I've said what you've told me to say, and I have suffered for it. Why won't you stop this pain?"

God offers reassurance to Jeremiah. "Keep saying what I want you to say. Your enemies will not win, for I am with you. I'm the one who can and who will save you."

Does Jeremiah fear that God has deserted him, or does he fear that God won't leave him alone?

No comments: